Edmonton, Canada – UFC® returns to Edmonton with a highly anticipated featherweight championship bout that will see titleholder and No. 5 ranked pound-for-pound fighter Max Holloway defend his belt against No. 4 ranked contender Frankie Edgar. UFC® 240: HOLLOWAY vs. EDGAR Live takes place Saturday, July 27 at Rogers Place and will stream live on Pay-Per-View.Unbeaten at 145 pounds for almost six years, Holloway (20-4, fighting out of Waianae, Hawaii, USA) has utilized dynamic striking to topple the featherweight elite.
Over the course of his spectacular run, he has delivered thrilling stoppage wins against Jose Aldo (twice), Brian Ortega, Anthony Pettis and Cub Swanson. Originally scheduled to face Edgar on two previous occasions, Holloway aims to add another legend to his resume and stake his claim as the most dominant featherweight champion in UFC history.
A former lightweight champion, Edgar (23-6-1, fighting out of Toms River, N.J., USA) looks to join the short list of athletes who have won titles in two UFC divisions. Throughout his legendary career, he has netted spectacular victories over BJ Penn (three times), Cub Swanson (twice), Chad Mendes and Gray
Maynard. With history in his sights, Edgar looks to become the first fighter to defeat Holloway at 145 pounds since 2013 and reach the top of the division.
UFC® 240: HOLLOWAY vs. EDGAR will mark the 30th UFC event in Canada, dating back to its inaugural fight card in the Great White North at UFC 83 in 2008. During this time the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization has staged thrilling cards from coast-to-coast in 11 different cities—Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Moncton, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.
Additional bouts on the card include:
- No. 3 ranked flyweight contender Alexandre Pantoja (21-3, fighting out of Arraial Do Cabo, Brazil) squares off with No. 4 Deiveson Figueiredo (15-1, fighting out of Soure, Brazil)
- No. 7 ranked flyweight contender Alexis Davis (19-9, fighting out of San Jose, Calif., USA by way of Niagara Falls, Ont., Canada) looks to re-assert herself in the title picture against dangerous prospect Viviane Araujo (7-1, fighting out of Brasilia, Brazil)
- Gillian Robertson (6-3 fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla., USA by way out Niagara Falls, Ont., Canada) goes for another impressive submission win against gritty Sarah Frota (9-1, fighting out of Balneario Camboriu, Brazil)
- Erik Koch (15-6, fighting out of Milwaukee, Wisc., USA) makes his welterweight debut against Kyle Stewart (8-1, fighting out of Tempe, Ariz., USA)
- More fights to be announced soon
For the latest information on additional bouts for this event, please visit www.ufc.com. All bouts liveand subject to change. Visit UFC.com for information and content to support your UFC coverage. Please click here to apply for the event.Tickets for UFC® 240: HOLLOWAY vs. EDGAR go on sale Friday, May 31 at 10 a.m. MT. Tickets are available for purchase online at www.ticketmaster.ca. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. UFC Fight Club® members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets Wednesday, May 29 at 10 a.m. MT via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, May 30 starting at 10 a.m. MT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC® 240: HOLLOWAY vs. EDGAR will air live on Pay-Per-View at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT. Preliminary fights will air on TSN and RDS channels starting at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT with the early prelims on UFC Fight Pass at 6:15 p.m. ET/3:15 p.m. PT.